Thursday, April 12, 2012

Showhouse Showdown: Get the Look

Most of you reading this probably just saw my episode of Showhouse Showdown on HGTV...I hope you enjoyed it! If you were not aware, this originally aired last year. After the airing, I had a little wave of emails and calls come in asking about specific product. This time around I am doing your homework for you. Here is a sneak peek into what it takes (and costs) to get "the look".
You can purchase all of these items online, or direct through me. Just contact me for details if you are interested in any of these items you cannot order direct through a website.
Here is the left side of the family room, and a few of my favorite items. To start, the artwork was painted by yours truly. A simple, soothing abstract landscape. A gallery wrapped giclee (48x48 total size of two combined) printed on canvas is $575 (custom sizes available).
I had been eyeballing this Andalusia rug from West Elm for a while. An 8x10 will run you $499. I love the punchy yellow color, and it is toned down just enough that it is not too in-your-face. It is a wool blend material, but is a flat woven rug which means it is not as plush as a pile rug (not as comfortable). http://www.westelm.com/products/andalusia-rug-r653/?pkey=crugs-flooring
I LOVE this antique style whale carving. I really did not want to leave it with the house. It is mounted on a simple steel base. They are hand carved, so each one is unique and original. These run $395 each.
My second favorite item: I actually ordered a pair for myself after the project. This is a cast bronze antique "Han" horse replica with gold leaf gilding. I love the patina and finish on this, it really looks quite authentic. It is a very heavy and solid piece, and is actually a bit larger than it looks in the photo. A great focal point piece for a table, ledge or niche. $390 each.

Visual Comfort lighting: My go-to source for simple but distinctive sconces and chandeliers. I love the antique brass finish of this sconce. The scale is right on...not too big, not too small. The patina has a great hand-worked feel, and the non-tapered shade keeps it from feeling too traditional. The price on these sconces are $319 each. It also comes in a polished nickel and antique silver finish.


Most inquiries were for these pendant lights. I have used them on a couple other projects and love them because of the look (The iron outer and linen inner is a nice balace of two textures), and the price. It is hard to find an oversized fixture that looks great for under $1,000. These ship out of California and are $769 each.
Hard to see in the photo, but in the nook, the slip covered chairs are tailored in a high end embroidered linen from Kravet. I got all four slipcovers off craigslist in L.A for about $150. Another hard item to leave behind for that price. (The chairs underneath- $9.99 at Target) shhh...
This room is so me. It was so refreshing to follow my own taste and style to each detail in this room. Unfortunately I cannont find the paint spec. for the paneled wall. It is a dark, rich navy blue with a hint of gray...but definately more blue than gray. I love art, and it took a lot of restraint to keep that center wall open, but it really adds to the feel of the space. Plates and wall shelves were from Home Goods, the large floor vase from Tozai Home, and the antique milk crate on the buffett I found on ebay.
A sharp looking chair from Lee Industries. Lee is a great product line, moderately priced for great quality. The chair comes with casters on the front legs, and nailheads as shown. Lead time on these chairs is 6 weeks. The price is $1,180 per chair per (plus fabric). On these particular chairs, I did 3 yards of the "Pelagos" (@ $59/yd) on all three outer panels of the chair, and 2 yards of a solid cotton fabric for the interior back and seat (Lee Industries grade in fabric @ $45/yd). The solid cotton color matches the dark gray pattern on the Pelagos.
The chandelier is from the same vendor as the sconce above- Visual Comfort (check them out)

The den was mainly done in budget items, and vintage finds. The white tulip style table is from Ikea. Most of the other pieces are from a local furniture store that was a sponser for the show. The black light fixture on the ceiling is actually just a lamp shade from Ikea as well. I hung it over a recessed light and hand wrote some poetry that I copied from an antique book used in the room. I found the really cool vintage easel on craigslist for $40 (that took about an hour to figure out how to set up), and an antique typewriter at a vintage shop for $135.
For the artwork, I painted my homestate's flag in a vintage style. Giclee canvas prints (48x24) are availabe for $295 each.
Well that's the whirlwind tour.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! The paintings make the room. Thanks for sharing your secrets! MTF in SC

    ReplyDelete