Monday, April 11, 2011

Design snob: A higher calling

One of the best things about being a designer, is that I am justified and entitled to critique everything in your personal space. (in case you don't know me, insert sarcasm here) Isn't that why we become designers; for that golden ticket of holier-than-thou when it comes to your home? On several occasions I have been in a strangers home, and the social dynamic is just fine...until they find out I am an interior designer. Then follows the excuses and reasons why "this is not finished because...", or "that is over there because...", and "I know this does not belong but..." The truth is you can do what you want and don't need to worry about what I think of you, but if you want me to think a little better of you, here are some tips: I am sure that many that are reading are guilty of a couple of these, most homes I have been in will have at least one on my list. But hey I didn't make the rules so don't shoot the messenger.


The ficus tree: A typical sorry attempt to fill a corner. I don't know why people insist on filling their homes with these. You do not need a tree in your house to achieve a good look...fake or alive. 9 times out of 10 your corner will look better without it.



The small rug: look at this sad little scrap on the floor. A rug should always go under the front feet of your furniture, at least the sofa. A small rug like this serves no purpose. Most living/family rooms will need an 8x10.


Fake Ivy: It dosen't matter what you paid for it, or how new it is, keep it off your cabinets.

Faux finishing: A short lived trend that was popular circa 1994 among do-it-yourself Home Depot shoppers. If you are going for that "dated" look faux finishing just might be for you.
This furniture style is the epitome of blah. Wrought iron base with glass top. Avoid it like the plague.



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh. I have done many of the above at one time or other :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop laughing. I think you've found your angle: The funny, brutally honest, totally sarcastic, straight designer living it up in South County who tells who where to shove your fake greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love my ficus tree in the corner of my bedroom. So there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha! So funny! The tiny rugs always bug me too.

    ReplyDelete